Mirrors shape a space as much as decorate it
Small spaces can especially be helped through the creative placement of mirrors. Here are timeless tips to make the most of mirrors in your home?
1. Go big! In areas where you want to make an impact, an oversized mirror can make a bold statement that can also help create a focal point.
2. Consider shape and size. Mirrors are design accessories, just like a piece of art, and can help add creative interest to a space.
3. Use mirrors to help make small spaces feel bigger. Mirrors automatically make many spaces feel taller and/or wider.
4. Hang mirrors in a series. This is a top tip of interior designers. Mirrors hung in a series can give the visual illusion of windows. Odd pairings tend to work best, such as a series of three or five.
5. Experiment with colour. Looking for a mirror to blend in a space? Consider using a white frame. Colours such as black, silver and brass can help add a sense of contrast.
6. Place round mirrors above rectangular surfaces. Ever wonder why a round mirror looks great above a sideboard or dresser?
7. Get crafty! Looking for an interesting mirror? Why not make your own? Making a mirror is as simple as taking a frame or old window and gluing a mirror on to the back.
8. Go tall. When looking for ways to elongate a room, either vertically or horizontally, slim, long mirrors work well.
9. Pay attention to placement. Whether you are looking to put mirrors in a series or in a more whimsical placement, planning can often be the key to a successful design solution.
10. Use mirrors instead of traditional artwork. Mirrors are typically less expensive.
Read the full story here.